Friday 21 June 2013

Week 17 video and sleep training

Now that Daddy is home, you have someone different to change your morning nappy and to play with you. Here's a video of you and Daddy this morning. You let off a major fart near the end of the video and being the mature parents that we are, we cracked up laughing and couldn't stop.
This morning I was really tired because I didn't sleep til 1am last night (Mummy's fault for sewing and online shopping). You woke up at 1.30am for your feed and then again at 3.30am. This is fairly normal, the interval between you waking up varies between 2-4 hours. Some babies at 4 months sleep through the night, and others don't. I have faith you will hopefully drop a feed soon and I'll be able to sleep for a bit longer in the night. You do a lot of feeding in the evenings, so I don't think you're hungry. I think it's just habit for you to wake up and maybe I shouldn't feed you and instead rock you to sleep so you get used to that.

Ahh...sleep. That is another thing we need to have a chat about. I know I said I wasn't going to sleep-train you but I thought there was no harm in trying it out since you seemed quite settled lately. So, for the last 3 nights, I've been implementing a modified cry-it-out method. I've tried to follow a sleep routine by putting you in your sleep sack, wrapping you in a swaddle and then feeding you. Once you finish, I transfer you to your bassinet while you're still awake. The first night I did this, you cried on and off for 18 minutes while I rocked you and did the pat-shush routine. You didn't cry loudly, just the woo-woo sound that means you're sleepy and you're just letting off some excess energy. After that, you slept for 3 hours and I was so happy! I thought, this sleep-training thing isn't too hard. Spoke too soon. Last night, we tried it again. You cried for 30 mins. Really loudly. Even though I was right next to you, rocking you to sleep, patting you, singing lullabies. You still kept crying and would not stop. I told myself I wouldn't let you cry for more than 30mins, so I picked you up and nursed you til you fell asleep. Tonight, we tried it again. You cried even more loudly than last night! I left Daddy to put you to sleep and went to make dinner. Daddy tried to calm you for a while and decided to leave the room to see if you would settle yourself. After 5 minutes, he went back in because you were crying harder than ever. He picked you up and you puked all over him! I didn't burp you before I put you down and all that crying must have stressed you out. So we had to clean you up, change the bed sheets, give you a bath...it was so much work and you were more awake than ever. We've decided to give sleep-training a break for now.

Here's a video that Daddy took this evening of you dream feeding. It's so cute.

And finally, we have a photo of the 2 of us smiling! Here we are getting lunch at a local korean restaurant today.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 

Template by Best Web Hosting