Monday 9 September 2013

Week 29: More gurgling and toes

You did your sing-song gurgling again this morning while doing your new trick of reaching for your toes. Here's a video combining your 2 new skills:


We went for your regular checkup at the baby health clinic today. I found out you've grown 4cm in 3 weeks! We last measured you at the medical centre 3 weeks when we got your immunisations. You're now in the 50th-75th percentile for height. You also weigh 8kg, which surprisingly is only in the 25th-50th percentile. I thought you were chubby for your age but you're actually below average in weight!

I also started nap-training you today. I want to stop the habit of you falling asleep while feeding you, so I'm following the traditional routine of: Sleep-Eat-Play. I made sure I fed you first, then we went downstairs to play. I put on a nursery rhyme CD and sang to you. After you digested a bit, I gave you some tummy time. You've started doing the swivel on your tummy, moving almost 360 degrees as I moved your toys just out of your reach. When you started rubbing your eyes, I took you upstairs, changed your nappy and put you into your sleep sack. I held you while singing Twinkle Twinkle Little Star (an easy song that everyone knows, so hopefully others will be able to put you to sleep). I turned on the white noise app and put you in your crib while you were still awake, gave you a few pats, sang Twinkle Twinkle again and gave you a kiss on your forehead, saying "Good night sweetie". Then I left the room.

I couldn't resist peeking through the door to see what you would do. At first you just played in the crib, you kept pulling on the bars of the crib to roll on to your tummy, you kicked around and generally amused yourself. After a while, you started babbling "Meh meh meh". This went on for a couple of minutes, getting louder and louder. Then you started crying. I felt so bad but I made sure I waited at least 5 minutes before I went into the room so that you wouldn't associate your crying with me coming in to comfort you. I made sure I did not pick you up while I calmed you down. I sang Twinkle Twinkle again and gave you a few pats. After you were quiet, I gave you a kiss and said "Good night sweetie" and out I went again. You started complaining again but surprisingly, after a couple of minutes, you went to sleep. And you slept for 2 hours! It was awesome.

I tried the routine again 2 hours after you woke up. This time, you must have known what was happening because you kept crying when I left the room. I went in every 5 minutes to soothe you. It took 30 minutes from when I first put you into the crib before you finally fell asleep on your own. And this time, you slept only 45 minutes.

I did the extended bedtime routine tonight, including your bedtime story. I put you into the crib, you babbled a bit, didn't cry and after 5 minutes, you fell asleep on your own. I'm hoping you're getting used to this routine and eventually you'll go to sleep in the crib without any crying. Let's see how you go this week.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 

Template by Best Web Hosting