Wednesday 20 March 2013

Your first month

Hi Lucas,

I can't believe it's been 1 month and 2 days since we first welcomed you into the world. Time is flying by and each day I notice your little personality peeking through and changes to your features. I want to capture these early newborn moments as I know how fleeting it is.

Week 2
Week 3
Month 1


I'm always marveling to Daddy how tiny you are. You fit so neatly across my body when I'm nursing you. When I go to burp you, you turn your head towards mine and I can smell your sweet milk breath. Sometimes you turn just at the right angle and you end up giving me a light kiss on the cheek. I want to hold on to these moments and at the same time, I can't wait to see you grow and start interacting with us.

This past month has been quite a journey. Daddy and I are constantly learning new things about you. You've been quite good to us and have generally settled quite easily. In the first week, you slept like a champ, there were days in the hospital where you would sleep over 6 hours and we had to wake you up for a feed. Oh how times have changed since then. The 2nd week while I was still pumping breast milk and nursing you, you would sleep 3-4 hours at a time and take lots of naps during the day. Daddy was at home then and we would have a lot of time to rest while you were napping. You would wake up and we would give you tummy time and cuddle and talk to you. At 3 weeks you entered a growth spurt and I've had to nurse you every 2-3 hours. Yesterday afternoon you wanted to nurse almost every hour, which was quite a challenge since you are also a slow eater. It takes you almost 30mins to finish each side, and that's only if I'm constantly prodding you to finish since you also have a tendency to fall asleep while nursing. Thankfully, you are better during the night and after you finish feeding, fall asleep very quickly in the cot.

I've been lucky to have Daddy and Grandma around during the first month to help look after you. Since yesterday, I've been looking after you myself and you've been having some fun with me - there have been 2 poo explosions in the mornings, projectile vomiting all over Mummy, plus pee leakage today right after I changed you into fresh clothes! Sweetie, that makes for a lot of laundry.

Some funny things we've noticed....

- You've already developed a way to call out to us. It's a cross between a screech and a yelp. When you wake up, you do that little sound and if we don't come upstairs to get you right away, you start your crying. It's cute the way you give us a bit of notice first.
 - Sometimes after you've let off a loud farty poo, you would give us a big, gummy smile. How can we get mad at you after such an adorable smile? Even if we had only just changed you into a fresh nappy and need to change you again, we can only laugh.
- You make cute snuffly noises in your sleep.
- You love to escape out of your swaddle and sleep with your arms stretched above your head. You look so comfortable, I can't bear to put your arms back in the swaddle. Though I've learned that means you wake up earlier since your arms startle you awake. 
Our little Houdini escaping from the swaddle
- Whenever you wake up, you go through a stretching routine with your whole body where you turn to your side and curl your back into a bow and stretch your arms and legs straight out. We have to wait until your stretching routine is over before we can change your nappy or feed you.
- Your favourite pose is the 'superman' pose with one arm straight up. You look like you're about to go flying.

Superman!
 - You pout your lips when you're upset, which makes Daddy laugh because he says that's my expression when I'm upset.
- You love taking a bath and soaking in the warm water.
- We've learned to tell when you're about to do a poo because you purse your lips and look like you're about to whistle. We call it your 'poo face'.
- Speaking of poos, you seem to like doing poos right after we've changed you. Even better, sometimes you do another poo in the middle of us changing you.

 That's all I can think of for now. It's quite tiring typing with 1 hand while holding you with the other, so I'll save up a few more cute things that you do for the next post.

Here's my fav pic sequence this week:
Practising your kung fu moves with Daddy

Here's a video of you at 2 weeks and another at 1 month -



0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 

Template by Best Web Hosting