Sunday 19 July 2015

Daycare story: Helping (2yo)

I love this story from daycare about you offering to help your teachers! Makes me so proud to see you demonstrate the values of sharing and helpfulness. When I see you with other children, I always notice how quickly you offer your toys to them, without me even asking you. You're so mature for your age.

Daycare story in May 2015

One Friday morning when I, Anna, noticed that there were no tissues left in the tissue box outside, Laleeta (the Preschool educator) volunteered to retrieve some from the storage cupboard located in the Laundry Room.

“Thank you, Laleeta!” I called out after her.
“No problem.” Laleeta replied, who began to make her way over.
Lucas, who was standing next to me, began to follow after Laleeta.
“Laleeta, I think Lucas wants to ask you something.” I said, just loud enough so Laleeta could hear me.
“Oh, yeah?” Laleeta said, turning around. She knelt down to where Lucas was standing to meet his eye level.
“What’s up, Lucas? Would you like to help me?” Laleeta asked.
“Yeah?” Lucas said, nodding his head.
“C’mon, let’s go!” Laleeta said, gesturing for Lucas to follow her towards the Laundry Room.
Laleeta propped the door to the Laundry Room open using a door stopper, and passed some light-weight objects over to Lucas.
Several minutes later, Laleeta and Lucas emerged, both carrying a handful of items.
“Wow, what a great helper!” I exclaimed.
Lucas proceeded to walk over to where I was and handed to me, one by one, the objects in his hands.
“Here…here.” Lucas said, as he handed each item to me.
“Thank you so much, Lucas.” I said with appreciation.


Another Toddler who happened to witness this verbal exchange, came over to get a better look.
“Me too!” the girl said.
"Meee tooo, I want to help!" another Toddler said excitedly.




It seemed Lucas’s helpful act had inspired other Toddlers to join in and offer assistance. What followed was a trip to the Laundry Room as a small group so more necessary items could be retrieved.

As educators, we regularly scaffold experiences for children to co-operate and work collaboratively with others. It was therefore wonderful to witness how Lucas’s act of kindness, of his own accord, ignited a spark and encouraged other children to join in. In other words, Lucas’s offering of help evolved into a collaborative offering of help. Such group experiences are wonderful because they help children in their development of a positive sense of identity and strengthens their interests and skills in being and becoming active contributors to their world. We are very proud of the helpful young man Lucas is becoming.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 

Template by Best Web Hosting